Monday, November 24, 2008

Juicy

Each fall (for as long as I can remember) family and friends have come over to my parents house to make apple juice. Here's how it works:


1. My dad buys three to six bins (these things are HUGE) of three different types of apples.
2. People come over to the house to hand wash, grind, and press the apples and then bottle the juice.
3. My mom stocks the kitchen with tasty soup and other snackins.
4. I mostly eat tasty soup, snack, and talk to people--occasionally venturing outside to work.
5. My dad makes sure that everyone goes home with more apple juice than they feel comfortable with. Sharing makes him happy.

Here's a rare photo of me working the grinder with my dad this past Saturday.

Me and Nic--what a team.

The best part of making apple juice is seeing my dad. For those of you who don't know him, he is where I get my tendency to be somewhat reserved in a crowd--we both like to fly under the radar. But for two days each fall he is Mr. Social, making sure everyone has a great time and gets lots of juice. It's fun to see. Thanks for a great party Mom and Dad!

5 comments:

Connie and Jimbob said...

Ahhhh, it's a sweet tradition, isn't it? They have been doing this since you were little kids, over in Alpine, and we have always had such a great time.

Julia M. said...

It always amazes me at how much your parents give. I really admire them and hope I can be more like them. Oh and the apple juice is amazing! It was so fun to talk with you and Nic. We'll have to get together soon.

Alissa King said...

I can't believe I never did this before we moved! I am glad you had fun!

LeeAnn Barker said...

I miss Apple Days!

Rick Wilcox said...

I'm sorry I missed it. Next year when the tendinitis in my shoulder is gone (I hope)I'll surely be there.